IW THYME WHOLE 200g
This 200 gram shaker has a warm, aromatic & piney flavor, Thyme is known for its earthy and sweet flavor profile. It’s a light herb that is rarely overpowering when used properly. Thyme is easily blended with other herbs, making it an essential piece of anyone’s spice collection.
Thyme is the dried leaves of Thymus vulgaris, a small perennial of the mint family. The leaves measure about one quarter of an inch in length and one tenth of an inch in width. The plant grows about eighteen inches tall and produces small flowers that are very attractive to honey bees.
Thyme is native to the Mediterranean but is now cultivated in various countries such as the United States and Portugal. In addition to its culinary uses, it is also known for its various medical benefits. Studies have shown that thyme has been used to treat sore throats, anxiety, insomnia and many other ailments. Thyme is a source of Vitamin C, A, Iron and dietary fiber.
Spice up your life usage tips:
- 1 tsp (5 mL) of Islands West Thyme Leaves = 2 tsp (10 mL) chopped fresh Thyme.
- Pairs well with Mediterrean herbs like marjoram, rosemary and oregano
- Use as a base in an authentic Middle East za’atar spice blend
- Add to Manhattan clam chowder, gumbo, tomato soup and even eggs
- Create a dry rub by mixing thyme, rosemary, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Rub over lamb, beef, pork and chicken
- Mix thyme with canola oil, lemon juice, honey and white balsamic vinegar to make a delicious vinaigrette for salads