IW SAGE GROUND 250G
Islands West 375 gram Ground Sage shaker tastes earthy, sweet, a little bitter and pine-like with subtle citrus notes. Its aroma is characterized by a medicinal, piney and woody. Sage is a member of the mint family and originates from the Mediterranean region. The romans called it “the holy herb” and was used in cultures to ward off evil.
This herb has long been used in cooking and medicinally. Ground sage is a great source for vitamin K and contains iron, vitamin B6, calcium and manganese. Sage is also full of antioxidants, making it a healthful addition to your meals. In Britain and North America, it is essential to Thanksgiving and Christmas turkey stuffings. In Italian cooking, it is used with fish dishes and is essential when making saltimbocca.
Spice Up Your Life Usage Tips:
- Use 1/2 tsp. to 1 quart bread cubes for stuffing for poultry, beef, pork or fish.
- Use in pot roast or stew of beef or venison.
- Good in cheese spreads, vegetable soup, chowders and eggplant.
- Frying a strong herb like sage mellows its flavor. Fried sage can be crumbled over a dish to heighten flavor at the last moment.
- Sage can also be used to add herbaceousness to sauces, compound butters, meat marinades, pastries, and breads.
- Add fresh sage leaves to cocktails and teas for an instant hit of herbal flavor.
- Islands West Ground Sage pairs well with thyme, marjoram and rosemary.
- Because sage has a strong presence in meals, adding it to the beginning of cooking produces a stronger sage taste, adding it later will produce a milder sage taste.
- Ground sage complements poultry, pork, veal, game, sausages, vegetables, salads, onion, cheese, eggs, stuffings and coatings.